Cream of Earl Grey Yogurt Loaf Cake
This easy to make loaf cake is a delightful departure from "been there" banana bread. The citrus and bergamot notes from the Cream of Earl Grey tea add the perfect amount of flavour and the yogurt keeps the loaf moist. It's like they're made for each other. The Cream of Earl Grey Yogurt Loaf Cake gets better after a day or two in the fridge. (With our thanks to Bon Appetit Magazine)
Ingredients: (for one 9 x 5” loaf)
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 3 tbsp loose-leaf Cream of Earl Grey Tea
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 9x5” loaf pan with vegetable oil and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on long sides. Lightly coat parchment paper with vegetable oil.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Vigorously whisk eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl. After one minute the mixture will be pale yellow and frothy.
- Whisk in whole-milk yogurt, the Cream of Earl Grey tea and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stream in vegetable oil while continuing to whisk.
- Add flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan, gently tapping pan against surface to eliminate air bubbles.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for one hour, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let loaf cool 15-minutes in pan. Gently lift out of pan using parchment overhangs and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Slice and serve. This recipe suggests slices can be toasted and slathered with butter. But most of all it'll leave you wondering if there's anything Cream of Earl Grey tea cannot do!